Re: performance with >> 9 MW of memory

    Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1991 15:11 CST
    From: moon@cambridge.apple.com (David A. Moon)

    > Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1991 14:42-0500
    > From: pan@ATHENA.PANGARO.dialnet.symbolics.com (Paul Pangaro)
    >
    > I have heard second hand that performance of symbolics machines
    > (certainly this was about L machines, maybe G's too, that is part of the
    > question) "degrades" with more than 9 MW of memory. Anybody know
    > anything about this? I have no other info

    Maybe because, if I remember correctly, the GC support hardware on
    "L machines" supports a maximum of 8 MW of memory.

Huh.  Does this effect only GC performance, or will it cause general
lossage?  I ask because I found we had some unused memory boards lying
around and was planning on sticking them in one of our 3650s.  If upping
the memory beyond 8 MW will not make a difference or will slow things
down, I will skip doing it.

--David Gadbois