Running CLIM on Garnet's Motif widgets

    Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1992 10:02 CST
    From: Scott McKay <SWM@SAPSUCKER.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>

	Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1992 17:35 EST
	From: lgm@iexist.att.com

	CLIM 2.0 will reportedly simplify the interface between CLIM and
	platform-dependent toolkits such as Motif's.  The Garnet software
	available from CMU includes (among many other things) a Motif widget set
	written in Common Lisp on top of CLX.  Has anyone, user or vendor,
	considered implementing a Motif back end for CLIM 2.0 using Garnet?

    Not to my knowledge.  I would guess that it is unlikely that any vendor
    will do this, since it is hard to justify economically.

The advantages for a vendor or user (e.g., a university) to write a CLIO
or Garnet driver for CLIM:

- Easier construction, testing, and incorporation of innovative or
customized widgets, since they would be writable in Common Lisp rather
than C/C++.

- Portability of the application's look-and-feel across platforms, with
a dependence only on the X Window System rather than on a particular OS
and programming language.  Note that true L&F portability (instead of
chameleon-like adaptation) is still desirable in some applications.
Smalltalk/V offers L&F adaptation, Smalltalk-80 offers L&F portability;
each apparently has found a viable market.

	Lawrence G. Mayka
	AT&T Bell Laboratories
	lgm@iexist.att.com

Standard disclaimer.