Object Oriented CASE Tools

    Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1993 09:43 EST
    From: William D. Gooch <gooch@tijeras.sw-sw.com>

	Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1993 12:26 CST
	From: Craig Lanning <CLanning@pdesds1.atg.trc.scra.org>

	Is anyone aware of any CASE tools which are well suited to the
	management of CLOS/CLIM based applications?

	Are any of these tools implemented in Lisp and are they available for
	the Symbolics Lisp Machine?

	Craig Lanning <CLanning@trc.scra.org>
	Grumman Data Systems
	North Charleston, SC

    Perhaps you can help bring me up to date on the definition of CASE.  In
    my opinion, taking the acronym CASE at face value, Genera itself should
    qualify as a CASE, and a very good one.  However, I admit to being very
    much in the dark about what is normally considered to be CASE and what
    isn't.

The CASE tools that I have seen at this site are used to do analysis and
design before any coding is done.  Theoretically, if sufficient analysis
and design work is done up front, the coding is just typing.  They
assist in documenting the work before, during, and after the coding is
done and help track which customer requirements are satisfied by which
pieces of code.

I would tend to agree with you that if the acronym CASE (Computer Aided
Software Engineering or Computer Aided Software Environment) is taken at
face value, Genera as a whole is more CASE than the tools which claim to
be CASE.  I just need a tool similar to one of them so that my software
development can comply with the requirements to use such tools.

    To be more specific in answering your question, I would point to the
    who-calls database, source level debugging, edit definition and so on as
    examples of Genera CASE facilities.