latest issue status summary

Here's the latest summary of what's going on with the various issues
we have pending.  The ones marked with an asterisk definitely need new
versions prepared before we can vote on them.  (I've already
circulated drafts of some of these to the people who requested the
changes, and I'm working on revising the others today.)  I don't plan
to revise the ones that aren't marked, so if you really want something
to happen on those issues you'd better speak up soon, and have some
specific suggestions.

My plan is to mail the new versions out to X3J13 tomorrow or Friday at
the latest.

* CLOS-MACRO-COMPILATION
    Clarify the language about errors under DEFMETHOD.

* COMPILE-ENVIRONMENT-CONSISTENCY
    Implementations are also permitted to signal an error if there
    are discrepancies between compiletime and runtime.  Clean up
    error language in item 3.  Minor wording changes to item 1b.

  COMPILE-FILE-SYMBOL-HANDLING

* COMPILED-FUNCTION-REQUIREMENTS
    Restore proposal FLUSH in response to popular demand.
    Clarify relation to issue COMPILE-ARGUMENT-PROBLEMS.

* COMPILER-DIAGNOSTICS
    Clean up error terminology in the section on warnings.
    Add notes on use of ABORT restart and resignalling to discussion section.

* COMPILER-LET-CONFUSION
    Fix bug in example code.
    Clarify relation to DEFINE-OPTIMIZER.
    Mention Moon's suggestion in discussion (unless a proposal is submitted)

  COMPILER-VERBOSITY

* CONSTANT-CIRCULAR-COMPILATION
    Change EQ to EQL, add to discussion.

* CONSTANT-COLLAPSING
    Clarify wording.

* CONSTANT-COMPILABLE-TYPES
    Revised with suggestions from Moon.

* CONSTANT-FUNCTION-COMPILATION
    This is a new issue, split off from CONSTANT-COMPILABLE-TYPES.
    Only one proposal to make handling of constant functions unspecified,
    unless somebody can figure out how to specify how to dump them.

  DEFCONSTANT-NOT-WIRED
    None of the proposals are ready to be voted on.

* DEFINE-OPTIMIZER
    Return only one value from optimizer.
    Optimizer has precedence over INLINE declaration.
    NOTINLINE declarations inhibit optimization.
    Minor clarifications to wording.
    Expand discussion section.

* DEFINING-MACROS-NON-TOP-LEVEL
    Revisions per Moon.  Move item 3 to EVAL-WHEN-NON-TOP-LEVEL.

* EVAL-WHEN-NON-TOP-LEVEL
    Add item 3 from DEFINING-MACROS-NON-TOP-LEVEL.

  LOAD-TIME-EVAL

  MACRO-CACHING
    Moon suggested simplifying the writeup.

  MACRO-ENVIRONMENT-EXTENT
    Barmar wants the copier function renamed (to what?)

  PROCLAIM-ETC-IN-COMPILE-FILE
    New name for DEFPROCLAIM? (no suggestions yet)

* QUOTE-SEMANTICS
    Revisions to language per Moon.

  SAFE-CODE
    This issue has been withdrawn.

* SYNTACTIC-ENVIRONMENT-ACCESS
    Unresolved problems:  what to do about declaration accessors, whether
      to require declarations always to be saved, and what to do about
      ENCLOSE.

  WITH-COMPILATION-UNIT
    There have been complaints that the proposal is not ready.
-------