CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

No Subject

   Date: Wed, 16 Dec 92 11:04:01 EST
   From: miller@cs.rochester.edu

   > From: friha lamia <friha@cui.unige.ch>

   > Has anyone any experience with CLIM and dynamic objects like these?
   > Is dynamic updating feasible, efficient and effective with CLIM.

   At any rate, yes, CLIM is quite adequate for this type of problem.
   Animation, on the other hand is NOT adequately addressed by CLIM. We
   update our display only in discreate time "jerks", e.g. the user
   specifies that 6 minutes of running time should be simulated, and show
   the result. At that point, the user can fiddle with the plans of agents,
   send additional commands, etc. If you need any sort of smooth animation,
   I think just about any widget/ui library will tend to get in your way...
   you need to do things at the CLX level (or lower?), and just bitblit.
   (I'm not an animation expert by any means, but I did try to do second by
   second updating in CLIM/Dynamic Windows and found it tedious (each
   presentation must be erased and then redisplayed) and much too slow...
   frame by frame would be 30*worse).

As a general rule, you should never do any kind of animation with
output recording enabled.  After all, since each "frame" of animation
is so ephemeral, there is no need to record the state of the display
for posterity (consing up a lot of output records along the way).
Animate by the quickest, dirtiest hack you can come up with (including
bitblt) and then re-present everthing at the next user interaction
point.

0,,

Follow-Ups: References:

Main Index | Thread Index