Re:

Frank Gleason wrote:

  >>  When I try to compile and run CLX I get errors because I don't
  >>  have a set of functions (module?) that begin with system::.
  >>  I'm using clisp on Linux, I think the version is 2.6, and
  >>  pcl+clx.sept92f.
  >>

  >Symbols beginning with system:: are located in the system package
  >(and can be variables, functions or just unbound symbols).

  >I can't see any reference to the system package in my sources of
  >CLX that are not conditionalized for lisp dialects that actually
  >have the system package. Could you be more specific on what error
  >message you get ?

  >Are you using the packages specially adapted to clisp (to be found
  >at the usual place in Karlsruhe) or the original sources ?

   I should have done this in the first message you are right.

   I got the file pcl+clx.sept92f.clisp.tar.Z from gatekeeper.dec.com.
   Clisp seems to be installed correctly (I installed and ran maxima).
   I am not at my machine with clisp so I can't copy the message exactly
   but here is the code segments that are the problem. Grepping for
   any of these (ie: grep big-endian *) in the clisp source comes up empty.

[ code deleted ]

You are using and old version of clisp; I've got a rather new
one and its source sparkles from functions in the system package.

Basically, the system package is for non CL extensions and
optimizations, like MAKE-SOCKET-STREAM or specialized i/o routines
for faster communication with the Xserver.

The best thing would be to get the newest version of clisp;
alternatively you could delete the symbol CLISP from *FEATURES*
so that the conditionals in the CLX source don't fire. CLX works
slower then but works. Use (setq *features* (delete 'CLISP *features*))
to do so. And watch for the endianness of your machine, the i386 is
little-endian (long long way for me to find that out...).

Nils.

Cornelis van der Laan -- nils@ims.uni-stuttgart.de
                      -- nils@guru.stgt.sub.org
# echo Knusper Knusper Knaeuschen > /etc/nologin