Re: GUI

Alexey Goldin <goldin@spot.uchicago.edu> wrote:

> What is wrong with X only interface anyway?

In the beginning, CLISP's lower half was written in m68000 assembly language.
Therefore it was limited to Atari platforms. Do you agree that this was wrong?

Sam and Rodrigo drew the discussion towards cross-platform GUI toolkits.
If we restrict ourselves to free/non-commercial toolkits with availability
on X11 (sans Motif) and Win32, we have the following options, according to
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Vista/7184/guitool.html .

   Garnet
                           +: Advanced OO design
                           +: Many widgets
                           +: Written in Lisp
                           -: Windows port missing

   Amulet
                           +: Advanced OO design
                           +: Many widgets
                           -: Lisp binding missing

   Fresco
                           +: OO design
                           -: Looks more like a research project

   Tk (also look at STk)
                           +: Easy to use
                           +: Scheme and Python bindings already exist
                           ?: Can you really get rid of Tcl?

                           +: Aesthetically nice
                           -: no OO design
                           -: Very buggy

   WxWindows
                           +: Scheme and Python bindings already exist
                           ?

   ZPA
                           ?

Can anyone comment on these packages, or on my comments?

Bruno