Sound Manager?

I've been playing around with the Sound Manager, and while I can make
it do some tricks from Lisp it absolutely refuses to open more than
one channel for me.  The load-calculating portion of the manager
apparently believes that a single channel takes 100% of the machine,
no matter how powerful the machine is (tested on an fx and a Quadra
950), and I haven't found a way to convince it otherwise.  Has anyone
else out there gotten multiple sound channels to work?