format doesn't work as specified in CLtL2 !!!!

	Hello everyone,

	It has been brought to my attention that the format command
doesn't work as specified in Steele's book.  Specifically, the padding of
output doesn't work.  Your supposed to be able to tell format what character
to pad the axtra space with, but kcl breaks at the read loop.

i.e. the following should work :

>(format "~10,'0d" 89)

Error: The string "~10,'0d" doesn't have a fill-pointer.
Error signalled by FORMAT.
Broken at FORMAT.  Type :H for Help.

	I looked in akcl/c/format.c and found and the padchar is ALWAYS getting
set to ' '.  Any particular reason ?

	Thanks in advance,
	greg

--
Greg Sylvain			UUCP: 			...!{uunet}!umbc3!greg
Academic Computing Services	Internet (arpa): 	greg@umbc3.umbc.edu