Scheme use

As a sophomore at Oberlin College last year, I took two courses that
involved extensive use of Scheme:

1. a course in functional programming, using Abelson & Sussman's book
as the main text.  We also used a draft version (?) of a book entitled
Fundamental Abstractions of Programming Languages, by W. Clinger, D.
Friedman, C. Haynes, E. Kohlbecker, and M. Wand.  This book was written
for a course at Indiana (natch) on the design and implementation of
programming languages.  Our version was copyright 1984.  I'd heartily
recommend it to anyone who can get a copy of it.

2. an introductory course in the denotational semantics.  For this
course we used M. Gordon's book, The Denotational Description of
Programming Languages, as a basic text, and Stoy's book entitled
Denotational Semantics for more depth.  Most of the work in this class
was done directly in Scheme.  We wrote general interpreters that took
as input denotational descriptions of a language and returned
interpreters for that language, which made our work in semantics much
easier because we could actually run and debug the semantics for each
language.

There were also other classes at Oberlin involving Scheme, such as
classes in theory and AI.  Last year all of our work was done in Scheme
84.  I believe that this year they are using Chez Scheme.

You can contact my teacher at the following address:

	Prof. Richard Salter
	Department of Mathematics
	Oberlin College
	Oberlin, Ohio 44074

Oberlin is not, as far as I know, on any computer network.
-------