[p2@Porter.ASL.dialnet.symbolics.com: Cold Load Stream]

    Date: Tue, 24 Apr 90 10:18-0000
    From: p2@Porter.ASL.dialnet.symbolics.com (Peter Paine)

    Forwarded by p2 =>
    Date: Tue, 24 Apr 90 10:16-0000
    From: Peter Paine <p2@Porter.ASL.dialnet.symbolics.com>
    Subject: Cold Load Stream
    To: BSUG@Porter.ASL.dialnet.symbolics.com
    cc: p2@Porter.ASL.dialnet.symbolics.com

    Could anyone help.

    I've been a real wally. Last night I got on a real burn and wrote some
    good optimisation code. At about 1am I stupidly put a without-interrupts
    around some graphics drawing routines. I cannot remember what I did but
    I was suddenly sent down to the FEP.

    I had not saved a thing for far too long.
    After many tries I got the machine to warm boot but can get no further
    than the cold load stream. At:
    >Emergency breakpoint Booted from LISP-REINITIALIZE; type (RETURN) to exit.
    (RETURN) goes back to the FEP.
    However, I can hack it enough to read some of the machine state if I do
    not type (RETURN).

    Although (ed) and (zwei:save-all-files) causes the machine to hang,
    I can see my important buffer in the ZWEI:*ZMACS-BUFFER-LIST*.

    My question: is there any way to list out the contents of buffer so that
    I can read it and copy by hand to another machine?
Even better, you can almost always write it out to the FEP filesystem (I always
leave a little room there) with

    (with-open-file (o "fep0:>save-behind.text" :direction :out)
      (loop with first-bp = (send <buffer> :first-bp) and last-bp = (send <buffer> :last-bp)
            for line = (car first-bp) then (zwei:line-next line)
            do (send o :line-out line)
            until (eq line (car last-bp))))

(I just typed it in without trying it, so it may not be 100% correct but you get the general
idea. <buffer> is a variable containing the buffer you are interested in saving.  If you
want to just see it, format the lines to *standard-output*.)

    <= p2
    <= Forwarded by p2