Sym to MAC

    Date: Fri, 26 Apr 91 14:39:52 edt
    From: rick@maxai.den.mmc.com (Rick Duffy)

    This may be more of a MAC question than a Symbolic's, but ...

    I am trying to copy files to and fro a MAC.  But there doesn't
    seem to be a System Type for MAC in the namespace.  I've tried
    a few, and had the most success using just a dummy (random) type.

    I am using NCSA Telnet 2.3 on the MAC, and am using services

I have been using NCSA Telnet on our Macintosh, but it is not a real
happy situation.  Problems include:  1) It allows only one server at a
time, 2) There is a buffer leak bug somewhere in it that causes the Mac
to freeze up after a bunch of stuff has been transferred (and everything
transferred is lost, too), 3) The pathname syntax is obscure and random,
and 4) It has a pretty limited FTP command set.

They say that the best solution is buying a Gator box and using NFS to
talk to the Mac.  I have been resisting that because we are doing some
very network IO-bound stuff, and I do not know if the added overhead
will kill us.  The Wollongong NFS client software looks promising, but
it does not work with the recent Mac OS beta release.

If you have to use NCSA Telnet and want it to be easier to use from a
Symbolics, you would have to make up a dummy system type, define a file
access path flavor for it, and write the appropriate methods.  Look at,
e.g., FS:UNIX-TCP-FTP-FILE-ACCESS-PATH, and especially the methods
:DIRECTORY-COMMAND and :PARSE-DIRECTORY-RESPONSE.

    Service: CONFIGURATION TCP CONFIGURATION
    Service: FILE UDP TFTP
    Service: FILE TCP TCP-FTP
    Service: LISPM-FINGER UDP LISPM-FINGER
    Service: LOGIN TCP TELNET
    Service: SEND TCP SMTP
    Service: SHOW-USERS TCP ASCII-NAME
    Service: STORE-AND-FORWARD-MAIL TCP SMTP

    (which is a copy of the services that I use for a Unix machine
     and seem to work fine there - not that I totally understand
     all this stuff.)

The services entries tell Genera what your Mac supports.  Unless you
have something else running, for NCSA you only need the TCP-FTP entry.

--David Gadbois