Re: RE: sick 3640

    Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1992 11:31 EST
    From: moon@cambridge.apple.com (David A. Moon)

    Have you considered the possibility that your hardware is fine but the
    world load file you're booting from is no good?  From the symptoms you
    describe the world starts up but quickly croaks in some way that doesn't
    involve returning to the FEP.  Does the same disk work on another machine,
    or does transplanting a known good disk onto the bad machine do anything
    interesting?

A good suggestion from moon. when I first read it I thought it could be the
wrong microcode, but my main memory of such cases is that it never comes back
from start --- does that match?

(We had an entire backplane switched out by Symbolics because of that symptom,
and all it was was the wrong microcde----)