fat and thin strings

(I guess you guys from the other side of the earth are awake, now, so
I'll post my question)

I have looked in the doc examiner at everything about fat and string but
can't find what I want.

I'd like to remove the style attributes from strings.  Is there a
function to do that?  The problem is that (apparently), strings entered
interactively are in another font/style/... than those from the code.
So I'd like to remove all style information from a string (otherwise,
I'll have to use string-equal everywhere).

Thanks

Vincent
--

Keunen Vincent                  Network Research Belgium
R&D, Software Engineer          Parc Industriel des Hauts-Sarts